HIGH COURT OF KARNATAKA, BANGALORE
NO. HCE 623/2006, Dated 22.12.2011
Sub: Appointment of Law Clerk – cum – Research Assistants.
With a view to encourage brilliant and talented Law Graduates to join the legal profession and to give them exposure to various facets of litigation and branches of law and familiarity with Court procedures, the proposal for appointing Law Clerks-cum-Research Assistants in the High Court of Karnataka till 31.01.2013 has been approved by the High Court and the Government.
Applications are invited from interested candidates for appointment to 38 posts of Law Clerks-cum-Research Assistants on the following terms and conditions:-
1) The Law Clerks-cum-Research Assistants will be attached to the Hon’ble Judges of the High Court of Karnataka and he / she will assist the Judge not only in the Judicial work but also in the administrative work.
2) The duties and responsibilities of a Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will include:
(i) Reading of case files, preparation of the case including case summary and notes and chronology of events;
(ii) Identifying facts and issues and questions that may arise or may have to be addressed;
(iii) Presence in the Court during the hearing of cases, taking notes of arguments and citations;
(iv) Research work on case law, books and articles for the purpose of assisting the Judge in the preparation of judgments; and
(v) Assisting the Judge to prepare speeches and academic papers.
3) The Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will have free access to the Court Room and Library and also to all materials including Computers and Internet. If necessary, he / she will be allowed access to the chamber of the Judge, with the permission of the Judge.
4) The assignment will be from the date of appointment till 31.01.2013.
During the period of assignment the Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will be paid a monthly honorarium of Rs. 10,000/- (Rupees Ten Thousand only).
5) The assignment as Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant is a full-time one and during the assignment, the Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will not be entitled to practice as a Lawyer or to take up any employment. He / she is liable to maintain confidentiality at all times.
6) The Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant attached to a particular Judge will not be entitled to appear before that Judge for a period of one year during the practice after conclusion of the assignment. He/ she will not be entitled to appear in any case handled by the Judge to whom he/she was attached, regardless of whether he /she had worked on that case.
7) Only on satisfactory completion of the assignment, the Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will be entitled to a Certificate issued by the High Court of Karnataka certifying that he / she has satisfactorily completed the assignment as Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant in the High Court of Karnataka. The assignment as Law Clerk-cum-Research Assistant will not confer any right or preference for any employment under the High Court or the Government.
Eligibility: Only those who have taken a recognized Degree in Law with a minimum of 55% marks, after undergoing a regular course and who have enrolled as an Advocate with the Karnataka State Bar Council on or after 01.01.2008 and whose date of birth is on or after 01.01.1980 are eligible to apply. Applications of ineligible candidates will be summarily rejected without any notice.
Those who have attended the interview for the selection to the post of Law Clerk – cum – Research Assistants on 28.11.2011 and not selected & those who have applied for the post of Civil Judges as called for by this office Notification No. CJRC.1/2010, dated 06.08.2011 are not eligible to apply.
Method of Selection: A Committee of Judges constituted by the Chief Justice will select the candidates on the basis of academic record, achievements in co-curricular activities and performance in the interview. If there are large number of applicants, candidates will be short-listed for interview on the basis of academic record and achievements in co-curricular activities.
♦ Documents to accompany the application: There is no prescribed format of Application. The candidates who are eligible and willing to apply should furnish all details and should be accompanied by a passport size photograph of the applicant, self-attested photocopies of the Certificates to prove age, educational qualification, enrolment with the Karnataka State Bar Council and achievements in co-curricular activities.
♦ Date of Interview: Date of interview will be announced later.
♦ Last date for submission of application: Applications along with the documents should reach the Registrar General, High Court of Karnataka, Bangalore before 5 p.m. on 31.01.2012. Applications received thereafter will not be considered. On top of the cover containing the application the following words shall be written: “Application for Appointment of Law Clerk – cum – Research Assistants”
BY ORDER OF HON’BLE THE ACTING CHIEF JUSTICE
(P. KRISHNA BHAT)